After purchasing a new Safaricom line or after the card replacement of a lost line, Safaricom requires you to activate your Mpesa account, which is among the key reasons why most Kenyans prefer the Safaricom Mobile network.
If you are struggling with the Mpesa activation process, this article will solve all of your issues.
How To Activate Mpesa After Buying New Simcard
The registration and activation of a new Safaricom line are offered for free when you visit a Mpesa agent shop or a customer care desk and ask for Mpesa to be activated in your line.
When visiting an agent or the customer care desk for Mpesa activation, you should carry with you the Safaricom mobile number and National ID or a valid Passport.
New Mpesa Activation Process
Mpesa sends a message to a newly registered Safaricom line that has already undergone successful Mpesa registration and the agent who registered the line to confirm that that the registration was successful.
The message contains a “Start-key”, a 4-digit code used to activate your Mpesa account.
This message should not be deleted.
Follow these steps to activate your Mpesa account:
- In your Mobile Phone Apps, select the Toolkit application.
- Select M-PESA.
- Select “Activate” or “Wezesha”.
- Now enter the 4-digit Start-Key received during registration
- You will be urged to create a new PIN of your choice.
- Confirm the PIN by re-entering the same PIN
- Enter your ID number similar to the one used during registration.
A confirmatory message will be sent to you confirming successful Mpesa activation, after which the Mpesa Menu will be sent to you in less than 30 minutes.
This means your Mpesa account is successfully activated, and you can begin your transactions.
How To Activate Mpesa Account After SIM Replacement
To resume your daily transactions after sim replacement, you will be required to activate your Mpesa account.
This can be completed by visiting the nearest Mpesa agent, a customer care desk, or by doing it yourself
To activate the Mpesa account in a replaced sim, you will require the following;
- ID number used to register the previous Mpesa account.
- The actual date of birth that had registered the previous account.
- The secret PIN you were using to operate the inactive account.
The Process To Reactivate Your Mpesa Account
To activate your Mpesa account after replacement, use the following steps;
- Go to Mobile Phone Applications and select the Toolkit app.
- Select Mpesa
- Select Activate or Wezesha
- Enter your old PIN
- Now enter a new 4 digit PIN
- Confirm the New PIN
- Enter your National ID and your birth date.
You will then receive another message on your phone confirming successful activation.